Saturday, March 20, 2010

A big decision

Well folks, it's been six months since opening my shop in Sydney Road. What a great time this has been! Feedback about the shop is consistently positive - from fitout to stock I make and choose and even the way it smells (gorgeous, thanks to the wonderful Aromae essential oils I stock).

But since Christmas, things have been getting tighter and tighter. It seems the so-called financial crisis is just hitting retail, and this is compounded by rising interest rates. People are tightening their belts and it's all hitting quite hard.

To add insult to injury, the extended clearway times (3pm-7pm on my side of the street, courtesy of the out of touch Victorian State Government), means strips like Sydney Road are ghostly quiet for the latter part of the day.

Furthermore, our loveable Moreland Council, in their (lack of) great wisdom, is talking of installing parking metres along Sydney Road. As if the hard working business people in the strip aren't hurting enough! Council is making so much out of fines post-3pm one would think they'd put a bit back into business and community development. Hmmm ... Moreland Council? I don't think so. Their short sightedness and greed is beyond belief.

Enough of my ranting ...

So, having been given the opportunity by my landlords to leave the premises with their best wishes and blessings, I've decided to close the shopfront and move my business online. This will be happening towards the end of April/start of May.

I'm feeling very positive about the decision. I'll have more time and space to design and create fabulous ranges of jewellery, do some more courses in silversmithing and expand my silver (and gold) designs as well, which is what I'm totally excited about. I will most likely be seeking out selected stockists in the not too distant future as well.

So my moving on sale has begun and the process for change is underway.

Stay posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment