Tuesday, March 24, 2009

All Quiet

The weekend has come and gone and I almost made a lovely silver piece. But things kept going a bit wrong. There was a little voice in my head saying "stop now, you'll stuff it up" ... but I didn't listen to my own reason and by Sunday I'd completely buggared it. I locked up the studio and all I could do was learn a big lesson and think on it a while.

Yesterday I took the day off from my studio and pottered about, doing other things.

Today I had a much better day. I dug out the piece (I'd put it in my scrap silver jar) and looked at it, thought about it a bit and decided to try something completely different. I'd scratched it over the weekend - scratches that wouldn't come out. So I attached a little diamond-tipped burr to my trusty Dremel and began texturing.

It worked! I stopped when it had worked too.

Then came the rest. Red coral nuggets, some chain, a couple of extra drill holes in the new silver and a little imagination and this is the result:


I was rather pleased with it in the end. The sterling focal piece is rather shell-like and sets off the coral quite nicely.

Having completed this and photographed it I then worked tirelessly for the afternoon on an absolutely gorgeous girly wedding set.

You're going to have to wait for that one, though. It's finished, apart from one little tweak I'll do tomorrow.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment